About This Release:
- February 9, 2015
- This update will request reboot of device for 3 times to finish completely if device is updating from firmware 1.8.2 and earlier or twice for any other version of firmware.
The first reboot occurs when user press 'update' button in App to start updating. The 2nd and 3rd reboot are automatically without user operation.
The device display will black out without any display for about 1 minute after 1st reboot when display software is been updated. The unit will reboot after display software update successfully.
The boot code will be updated after 2nd reboot (for firmware 1.8.2 and earlier) and a message will be displayed on device display to warning people not to power off the unit during this stage. The updating of boot code will take about 70 - 80 seconds. The unit will reboot after boot code has been updated.
Please make sure not reboot or turn off the unit during the updating of display and boot code or the unit will no longer able to boot up (will have to return to factory for flash the boot code).
- Fixed the issue that particular WAV files stored on USB drive with id3tag metadata won’t play.
- Fixed the issue that ‘repeat’ function won’t work if the queue contains only one track.
- Performance and stability improvement by new firmware code structure.
- Added WiFi Access Point mode to allow initial setup without using LAN cable*.
- Added resetting of device display function so user can correct display update error without need of special firmware **.
- Added limited DSD256 file decode support (will only output though USB).
- Added reconnect function to avoid playback interrupt (jump to next track) when remote server closes data connection. This will improve the stability of streaming TIDAL, WiMP when network connection is not ideal. This may also fix the problem that ARIES stop play after a long pause with particular DLNA server (server close connection after a period without data transfer).
- Device now allows mixed playing queue from local music files and streaming (waiting for new Lightning DS V2.0 to enable this function).
- Device will report serious playback error to AURALiC server to help our staff support customers.
- Lightning Server can now use samba network path as source and switch between USB and Network mode. No 3rd party uPnP server will be required in the future (waiting for new Lightning DS V2.0 to enable this function).
- Lightning Server will now ignore multi-channel audio files as device wont play them.
- Lightning Server will now ignore certain folders during initial scan, such Windows recycle bin folder to speed up scan.
- Lightning Server will report disk status in music library list such as 'No Disk', 'Disk Error' so user can know if the USB drive they plugged can be ready by Lightning Server.
- Improved compatibility with USB drive.
- Improved file verification rule by allowing files with size error (actual file size does not match with metadata info) and some other errors inside id3tag for Lightning Server.
- Reduced Lightning Server error reports that been sent to AURALiC server to allow faster scan speed.
- Device will try to power down USB drive in standby.
- Device will download new firmware at background even when machine is standby.
- Added message notice function: User will receive instant popup message on Lightning DS when certain operation is successful or failed (waiting for new Lightning DS V2.0 to enable this function).
- Device will erase all Lightning Server database when user use 'return to default' function.
- Device will wait at 176.4K or 352.8K rather than DSD64 or DSD128 when DAC Delay function is enabled.
- Device may not work with particular type of USB drive in Mac OS X journaled format.
- USB DAC running on Wavelength USB firmware could not use USB playback function due to an issue inside Wavelength USB firmware***. The known effected brands are: Ayre, Aesthetix and Berkeley Audio.
* To enable WiFi access point function, please press and hold 'SEARCH' button on remote for 7 seconds till you see the text 'APPLYING SETTING'. You will see an open WiFi network named 'AURALiC-Lightning' after display switch to a WiFi icon. To exit WiFi mode, please press 'EXIT' key on your remote.
**To reset ARIES display, please press and hold 'DISPLAY' button on remote for 7 seconds till you see the text' RESETTING DISPLAY'. The display program will reset (display will turn black) and machine will reboot after the reset is done.
***According to ARIES customer’s test report whom also own Ayre QB9-DSD, Wavelength USB firmware does not allows USB DAC attach to USB hub with a mass storage (such as USB drive) presents at same time. The DAC will no longer play any file format except for those at sampling rate of 44.1Khz in this case when tested on an Apple Macbook. Since both ARIES’ two USB ports are connected to same USB hub, this issue has affected the function on AIRES too.